3.26.2010

The Beginning of a Long Love Affair

I was thinking the other day about my relationship with books as a kid and how I was probably destined to become an English major since I learned to read. I was that little girl who never cared if I got grounded because I would simply retreat to my room and read the whole day through. My mother told me if she really wanted to ground me she would have had to take away my books, but, like any good mother, she could never bring herself to do so.

I was also that kid who wanted to read before I actually could. I used to memorize books that were read to me as a child and recite them while proudly stating I could read. Honestly. Pretty dorky; I'm surprised I had any friends.

Anyhow, I got to thinking about some of my first favorite books as a child and compiled this list:
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein. I remember getting this book from a Scholastic book fair at my elementary school and it was my introduction to poetry. One of my favorites:
Hug O' War
I will not play at tug o' war. I'd rather play hug o' war.
Where everyone hugs instead of tugs,
Where everyone giggles and rolls on the rug,
Where everyone kisses, and everyone grins,
Any everyone cuddles, and everyone wins.



The Giver by Lois Lowry. My introduction to dystopian novels.











The Babysitters Club series by Ann M. Martin. If you were a young girl in the early 90's you have probably read every book in the series.









The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks. Toys coming alive behind closed doors is every child's fantasy. Did I mention Toy Story was also my favorite movie?










Around the World In 80 Days by Jules Verne. I had the kid's version with pictures which was basically awesome. My mom and I would read a chapter together before bed at night. I should also confess Phileas Fogg is the greatest character name that was ever written.








The Borrowers by Mary Norton tells of tiny little people who borrow their life's necessities from average size people while all the while keeping their existence unknown. The movie was a disappointment but the books are great.












No comments:

Post a Comment